This trail explains how to download, install, and run visone and its various extensions. To use the core visone program you'll need only to read the first section Running visone and, potentially, the second section on the installation of the java runtime environment. The other sections explain how to install and run several extension packages that can be used in connection with visone.
Installing visone is very simple. You can start it either from you local hard disk or use visone webstart. To download visone and start it from your local hard disk do the following two steps:
- Go to the visone download page  and save the latest current version (e.g., visone.2.6.3.jar) on your hard disk, for instance, on your desktop.
- Execute the downloaded file (for instance, by double-clicking on it). The visone window opens and visone is ready for use!
Even simpler is starting the program via visone webstart. To do this go to the visone Website  and click on the link webstart visone in the green download box on the left. Tell your browser to execute the file visone.jnlp.
Troubleshooting (I): installing the java runtime environment (JRE)
If the visone window does not open and if you get a message similar to "cannot open file: visone-2.6.3.jar", then it is most likely that the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is not installed on your computer. In this case do the following steps.
- Go to the Oracle Webpage .
- Search in the list for Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) (version 6 or higher) and click on download. Follow the instructions.
- Once you have installed the JRE, do as described in the previous section.
Installing the connection to R is explained in the guide Using RSiena from within visone which is currently only available as an external document .